Thursday, November 8, 2007

A CHAT BETWEEN AN AFRICAN AND AN ASIAN

Asian: Can you tell me why it is that people of your particular pigmentation, no matter what country they reside in, generally do not quite break through to true financial success? We Chinese usually make money wherever we go.
African: I really don’t know. Can you tell me?
Asian: During a trip to America, I noticed in every city I visited that when an Asian comes to town, even if he has nothing when he starts, he owns a business in just few months. People of your pigmentation, on the other hand, even though most of them are very hard working, have been there for decades; yet most often do not own anything. After studying this for a while and talking to many of your people, I finally figured out that the difference lies not in our abilities, but in our mentalities. More often than not, when your people go into a city, they go looking for jobs. When we go into a city, we are looking for a business. We may need to hold a job for a while, but that is only until we can buy or start a business of our own.
The Asian man was not at all vain or arrogant with his question, but was simply inquiring about an observation he had made in his travels. And I think it’s high time that we African change our mentalities. Let’s be more creative than hard working.

No comments: